Not your Mama's Shortcake!
This recipe is gluten free (not grain free) and you can make coconut milk whip in lieu of heavy cream making this shortcake dairy-free too!
2 tbs of ground flax seeds
2 tbs of vanilla Complete (like this)
1 T applesauce
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil (my favorite brand) + 1/4 tsp to coat the bowl for non-stick
1.5 tsp coconut sugar (this one or that)
1/4 tsp raw honey (I recommend unpasteurized; if you're in So Cal, this one)
Instead of using a coffee mug, I used my friend's 2-cup microwave safe bowl to make my shortcake as seen here (no affiliation; subject to availability). (Because we aren't cooking long term, the bowl is safe to use for this recipe.)
1. Grease the bowl with the 1/4 tsp of coconut oil (you can use a paper towel to coat or your clean fingertips).
2. Add all the ingredients to the Tupperware bowl in the order above. Mix well with a spoon.
3. Cook on regular temperature for 2 minutes (this is based on a 1,000 watt microwave). You will know it's done when the top is springy and not sticky.
It'll look like this when it's done. It kind of reminds me of the texture and bounciness of sponge cake.
Since the shortcake takes so very little time, you might make your whipped cream and strawberry reduction ahead of time.
Ingredients for strawberry reduction:
10-12 medium strawberries + 3 sliced to garnish
2 tbs water
1. Heat the strawberries with the water in a pot for about 10 minutes on medium. Using an immersion blender (like this) you'll blend the strawberries for a minute - just until the whole strawberries are broken down a bit. You can also use a potato masher (like this or even this).
2. Slice the extra strawberries for garnish. (I didn't have any fresh on hand. During the non-season, I buy organic and then freeze them to use for later.)
3. While the strawberry reduction is cooling, make your whipped cream.
Ingredients for whipped cream:
1 cup of heavy cream
1 tbs cane sugar
1/2 tsp real vanilla
Optional: Pinch of sprinkles (I recommend Let's Do Organic)
1. The best way to make whipped cream is in your mixer with a very cold bowl. Put the bowl and whisk in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
2. Add all of the ingredients to the cold bowl and mix on high for 2 minutes. If you over mix, it'll be a lumpy not so creamy texture.
I do receive a small commission from Amazon.com if you purchase anything through their site using one of the links above (read my full advertising disclosure here).
Thank you very much for your generosity in helping to offset the costs of website upkeep, so that I can keep sharing wellness resources with my community and beyond.
If you're interested in learning more about how to choose quality, real foods for your family, you may enjoy my online L.E.A.N. start "Nutrition Simplified" classes. You can learn here.
Choose, eat, and live well! =)
Another strawberry favorite recipe you may like: